Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Segmented Lives

In this week's Balance Beam(TM) message, I noted that like John Edwards, many of us are living double lives, the result of our ability to segment and "wall off" sections of our lives from the "rest of our life." We delude ourselves into thinking "no one will ever know" the unflattering things we do, while ignoring the larger question about why we are no longer integrated, whole men--we truly are who we say we are and not hiding behind an "image."

What do you think. Are men guilty of this more often than women? What are the risks--to career, family, personal integrity of self-delusion or justifying behavior we know is wrong?

Question: Would you be willing to answer to an "accountability partner" who would keep you honest with yourself? Someone who would challenge your behavior when it gets out of line with what you know is right?

I'd welcome your thoughts on this.

Jerry Hancock

2 comments:

  1. I can speak to that "segmented" life. I think it starts with, "What is work stays at work and what is home stays at home". While we need to maintain balance in our lives between the competing interests, we have to understand that it is all related and cannot be completely segmented. I face that concept daily as an employer as well as an owner and an employee - all of the same entity. Then I have to go home and be a husband and father. I find that instead of segmenting these various lives, it is much better to combine them as best we can. Then it becomes much easier to balance them.
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it is about trusting God in everything I do. I do not believe in segmentation for the various roles I play. For each role I believe the Lord is asking me to lead my life according to his word. I need to lead and set the example in each role or aspect of my life. I'm not saying it is easy, but what we are asked to do as Christians.

    ReplyDelete